The area has a significant history, as there is evidence that the Romans settled in the area with remains being found in the vicinity of the Churchyard. There was certainly a church in Cuxton in the 9th century for it is recorded that Ethelwulf, king of the West Saxons from 839 to 855AD, gave it together with the parish, to the cathedral Church at Rochester.
The name Cuxton seems to have its origins in the Saxon period when a man named Cucola had a stone named after him. The name has come down through the centuries from Cucola’s Stone through such variations as Cuclestone and Cookstone to the present day Cuxton. A stone marking the historic Cucula’s Stone is located adjacent to the scout hut in Bush Road.
The hamlet of Upper Bush, Cuxton is a conservation area due to its historic buildings, the oldest of which, Barrow Hill House dates from about 1390.
Other buildings of note include St Michael and All Angels church, Whornes Place, built in the late 15th century and the White Hart public house, which dates from 1390.